Turkey chili with adzuki beans is packed with protein and iron and sure to warm you on a chilly night. Try this healthy turkey chili recipe!
- 1 cup dry adzuki beans
- 4 cups filtered water
- ¼ cup whey from yogurt or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ pound smoked turkey, pulled
- 32 ounces diced canned tomatoes, sugar & BPA free
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- Soak adzuki beans overnight in the filtered water with the whey or vinegar. Drain and rinse after soaking.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, combine the beans with the broth and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pulled smoked turkey, tomatoes, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin to the beans. Stir to incorporate and continue to simmer while completing the next step.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the ground turkey and onion in butter or coconut oil. When the turkey is half done, add the green peppers and garlic. Continue to sauté until the turkey is browned.
- Add the ground turkey and vegetables to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for 15–20 minutes, until the chili is slightly thickened. Taste for seasoning and add salt for flavor or chili powder for more spice.
- Enjoy with avocado, goat’s milk yogurt, salsa or green onions. Flavor will improve over the next few days.
- You can save some energy and make this recipe in a slow cooker, though it’ll take longer overall.
- Feel free to adjust this recipe using a meat of your choice, or try a vegetarian version with some added beans or a plant-based protein of your choosing.
- Cook time does not include soaking the beans overnight.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 900
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Sodium: 731mg
- Fat: 65.5g
- Saturated Fat: 18.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 46.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 10.2g
- Protein: 40.2g
- Cholesterol: 144mg
Keywords: white turkey chili recipe, turkey chili slow cooker recipe, healthy chili recipe, turkey chili