The cold temperatures and dry air of winter are finally letting up, but your skin is probably still feeling the effects. The Doctors’ resident skincare expert and dermatologist Dr. Sonia Batra shares 7 simple ways using products just a click away that will have you saying goodbye to your dry, chapped and cracked winter skin — just in for spring!
1. Make sure to moisturize and she suggests using products containing ceramides and hyaluronic acid. Dr. Batra says these ingredients will help the skin retain moisture and establish a barrier between your dermis and the elements.
3. Avoid waxy lip balms for chapped lips, as these will not hydrate the skin. She suggests a petroleum jelly lip balm to seal the skin, or if you do not enjoy a petroleum-based lip balm, use a lip balm with ceramides. Also, avoid heavily scented balms or products with dyes, which can actually irritate and dry out the skin of the lips even more. Dr. Batra also notes to avoid licking your lips as this can harm them if they are already chapped!
4. For acne-prone and oily skin individuals, Dr. Batra says a lightweight, non-pore-clogging moisturizer (non-comedogenic) will help keep your skin sealed and hopefully avoid the overproduction of oil, which can lead to further breakouts and blemishes.
5. Avoid that long hot shower! Despite how great it might feel on your dry skin, Dr. Batra warns it can further dehydrate the skin and she suggests taking a shower that is not excessively long and not extremely hot.
6. Peeling skin can be prevented with the use of a humidifier. Dr. Batra notes in addition to the winter months, a humidifier can help your skin remain in tip-top shape during the summer as it will help combat the drying associated with using an air conditioner.
7. If your skin problems persist, Dr. Batra encourages you to see a dermatologist in order to determine if you might have an underlying skin issue or possibly need treatment for a specific skin condition like eczema and psoriasis.
If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.
*CBSi may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through featured links above.